[ExI] Second Life

jameschoate at austin.rr.com jameschoate at austin.rr.com
Fri Mar 12 16:49:23 UTC 2010

---- Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:

> Why are you disagreeing with Anna or me?

Because her assertion that people won't stay there because a game is just a game, it's about the technology and not a particular implementation.

And because your assertion that we don't know how we'll get there is also not accurate.

> Please read posts carefully before responding and please respond to the post with which your content relates.

I did, on both points. Apparently you missed a couple of mine.

> On another point, the near term is about nanorobots.  Read Freitas.

I'm familiar with the work, http://www.rfreitas.com/

I've been interested in nanotech since the late 70's and early 80's. Used to work here http://order.ph.utexas.edu/ doing AB chemical oscillators and BZ Reactions, are you familiar with Illya? If anybody is in that neck of the woods say "Hi" to Dr. Turner please. Was around back when the Foresight Institute was formed as well. Discovery Hall did some demonstrations with their help as well as putting on the first Cyberspace Conference here in Austin at UT in '90.

it's not compelling with regard to a fundamental shift of human society. It resolves some mechanical process issues but not much else.

Where people need to be focused is on technology that augments inter-personal interactions. Here's a couple more links to ponder over...

http://www.wilsoncenter.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=wq.essay&essay_id=555218

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,677537,00.html

--
 -- -- -- --