[ExI] Look to Windward--Banks

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sat Mar 20 23:21:06 UTC 2010

Keith writes

> Singularity SF is really hard to write.  Everybody who does so knows
> they have to cheat or they have no characters the reader can identify
> with.

I don't think that creating characters that the reader
can identify with is the problem at all.

For example, I once wrote a short story published in Life
Quest in which the protagonist was in communication with
very advanced versions of himself. The plot is nothing
more than him waking up to find that his role is to
"hold down" the five-year period 1990-1995, or something
like that. He's not to get *too* much smarter during a
supposedly infinite lifetime ahead of him, and he gets
to be very happy. But it was not---perhaps could not
be---a great story. Zero real drama.

No. The problem is coming up with a realistic plot that
has to include conflict of some kind. Or perhaps thrills/
danger. That would be my guess, but I'm sure Damien and
the other pros know a lot better.

Lee