[ExI] Send in the dwarfs

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 23:57:08 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Jeff Davis <jrd1415 at gmail.com> wrote:
> What sort of folks make such a decision for their descendants, who
> would inevitably become a culture accustomed to living in transit
> between the stars, with no habit of life in a planetary gravity well?
> What would motivate them to disembark at their destination and walk
> away from the only way of life that they had ever known?  Probably
> only a fringe group of the descendants, a disaffected element desiring
> separation, would choose to start a new planet-bound way of life.  The
> rest would probably just resupply and refuel and he and

Well, we might start with the huddled masses something something...

We might gather all those unruly prisoners and send them off in ships...

We might also get those interested in seeking out new [ways of] life
and new [self-governed] civilization...

Now if we could find a way for the whole thing to be financed.  I
think I read about a plan where three rockets would be used to move
the population of earth to their new home across the stars.  All the
scientists and engineers go on one ship, all the plumbers and such go
on another ship.  The remaining hairdressers and phone operators will
go in their own ship.  Fortunately for them their ship is already
available for launch.  OK so I wasn't reading a cutting edge news
article on the intertubes, it was something by Douglas Adams and it
was 1988 at the time.