[ExI] Bodies

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Tue Mar 23 04:50:39 UTC 2010

Max More wrote:

> Commenting on the part of my paper that said "I would be hard put to
> name an Extropian who seems to reject the body and the senses."
>
> Lee wrote:
>
>> You can now name at least
>> one Extropian who'll be very happy to leave his body behind, *once
>> there is something far better to host him*, supposing we ever get so
>> lucky as to attain that possibility.
>
> I don't really have any dispute with what you say here or elsewhere in
> your comments. I, too, would eventually want to transfer my cognitive
> functioning to distributed hardware...

I don't substantially differ with anything in your remarks.

> ...Even distributed hardware could be damaged. One way to
> do that, of course, is to have a body or bodies, although a rich array
> of networked and distributed sensors would be superior to those set in a
> single physical body. However the senses are housed and organized, I
> would definitely want to be able to sense the external (physical) world.
>
> I think you do see it the same way, since a bit later you write:
> "I ought to have many sensors throughout the Earth, not just allowing me
> to check against threats..."

Yes, that's right. And of course we need keep in mind the point
made by Mike D. that we really cannot imagine what options may
be available by then along these lines. We're talking here of
just a basic architectural default.

> BTW, when Natasha used the
> term "metabrain" I think she was using it in the sense that I used in my
> Extro-3 talk ("Mind Morph: Technologically Enhanced Emotion and
> Personality") (and later at the 2001 manTRANSforms conference), and not
> in the sense you found by googling it. (She used the term in Primo
> Posthuman.) That is, the metabrain is a label for a deeper and richer
> set of internal senses, that allow you to see your own wiring and
> improve on it.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

Lee