[ExI] Real & virtual worlds

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Tue Mar 23 04:58:05 UTC 2010

ddraig wrote:

> On 22/03/2010, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:
>
>> I mean, Tom, if you could choose to find studying nanotech
>> and doing nanotech experiments just as fun and interesting
>> as going about the countryside in medieval armor having fun,
>> wouldn't you choose to switch?
>
> As a former mediaevalist, both sound equally fun to me.
> Although, hmmm, nanotech armour, mmmmmm yummy.

I'm talking about something *way* beyond "sound equally fun".

Right now, playing golf sounds to me not at all fun. The
real question is, "When I can decide what feels like fun,
what should I decide?".

What do we want to decide, and why? I would gladly switch
my taste and expertise in chess for an equivalent taste
and expertise in finance. Then from now on I could be on
the receiving end of the scams, not the giving end (moral
questions aside). But chess was fun---high finance was not.

It has to *obviously* be the case that we would choose
as evolution once chose for us: we ought to find fun
those things most necessary to our survival and domination
of the universe (both personal and social). ANYTHING ELSE
IS A LOSER, in the long run. Both Mr. Darwin and simple
logic say so.

Lee