[ExI] The "real" world

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 11:58:21 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 1:06 AM, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:
> P.S. Giulio wrote
>  "I agree with Ben and Lee. These anti-uploading rants sound like
>  deep ecology nonsense to me. Listen to me, there is nothing sublime
>  in a senile brain slowly dying in a rotting body. The sooner we can
>  leave these things behind us, the better."
>
> Very well said.

If your house needs a new roof and some paint, do you just move?

I agree with the premise, I think uploading is not the only option.

Oh, by "leave these things behind" you meant the design flaw of
non-renewal due to age, right?  :)

As we get better at medical technology, we might be able to fix a
senile brain before we can upload it.  Ironically, work in organic
computing or wetware interface might drive those insights/innovations.
 I also expect that body repair will improve considerably with
technology.  The disturbing fact is that political and economic
innovations aren't evolving as quickly as other technologies - so
we'll have miraculous science being wielded by antiquated powers to
maintain the status quo.