[ExI] The Post-Schopenhauer World

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 11:11:29 UTC 2010

On 24 March 2010 03:19, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:

> P.S. If you are serious about calling them 1st order, 2nd order,
> and 3rd order, would you please offer characterizations of each?
> (i.e. a bit short of definitions to be taken entirely literally).
> For I, along with Arthur S., see just two levels.

First order preferences are governed by immediate impulses and
desires, such as hunger and the preference to avoid anything that
seems like hard work. Second order preferences are, roughly, governed
by longer term goals we have inherited due to our genetics and
environment, such as a desire for financial security and the approval
of one's peers. Third order preferences are when we look at our second
order preferences and wish they were different. I wish I weren't so
lazy, so that I could work harder and impress friends and family with
my material success; on the other hand, I wish I weren't so interested
in material success and could instead channel my energy into helping
people.

--
Stathis Papaioannou