[ExI] The Post-Schopenhauer World

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Wed Mar 24 11:48:02 UTC 2010

Stathis explains:

> Lee wrote:
>
>> P.S. If you are serious about calling them 1st order, 2nd order,
>> and 3rd order, would you please offer characterizations of each?
>> (i.e. a bit short of definitions to be taken entirely literally).
>> For I, along with Arthur S., see just two levels.
>
> First order preferences are governed by immediate impulses and
> desires, such as hunger and the preference to avoid anything that
> seems like hard work.

With you so far.

> Second order preferences are, roughly, governed by longer term
 > goals we have inherited due to our genetics and environment,
 > such as a desire for financial security and the approval
> of one's peers.

So already people fall into two categories: those who
cannot, say, hold down a job because of the hard work
involved, and those who can. Or those who can follow
fashion to generate the approval of peers, and those
who will not.

> Third order preferences are when we look at our second
> order preferences and wish they were different.

But in my examples, and quite commonly, people lament
that they cannot fulfill their second-order preferences.
E.g., "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak".

> I wish I weren't so lazy, so that I could work harder
 > and impress friends and family with my material success;

Yes; but I say, that arises from a second order preference,
no?

 > on the other hand, I wish I weren't so interested in
 > material success and could instead channel my energy
 > into helping people.

Ah, yes, now there is a third-order preference, if I'm
reading you correctly.

I propose that, in the new era, using your terminology
folks will have control over preference types one and two.

Lee

"Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants."
                         ---Arther Schopenhauer, 1839
"Yes we can, yes we can!"
                         ---Barack Obama, 2008