[ExI] What SF do you plan to read next?

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 01:36:04 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

I just finished reading the incredibly good "Anno Dracula," by Kim Newman.
I realize it's not science fiction, but it is a truly great work of dark
fantasy.  This alternative history tells the tale of what would have
happened to England if the heroes of "Bram Stoker's Dracula" had failed to
defeat the dark prince...

http://www.amazon.com/Anno-Dracula-Kim-Newman/dp/038072345X

I think next I may be reading "The Golden Age," by John C. Wright.  I have
meant for so long to read it (and the entire trilogy), but still have not.

"American Gods" swept me away as I listened to it in audiobook form.  The
main character's wife reminded me so much of someone I once dated.  I saw
just the other day "Mirror Mask."  And despite some bad reviews I had read
of it, considered the film visually stunning and emotionally touching.

Michael Swanwick is one of my favorite authors and "Stations of the Tide"
was the second of his works that I had read.  The aging but very capable
hero (I want to see a movie made with Patrick Stewart in the main role, but
alas, he is getting old) appealed to me (I loved his "nano-anything box"
built to look like a briefcase, lol).

"Into the Drift" is another great Swanwick novel.  The post-apocalyptic
setting is quite eerie and the story both surprised and saddened me.  A
very unique contribution to that SF subgenre.  I need to read "Jack Faust."

I have a copy of "Supermen: Tales of the Posthuman Future" and also need to
read that. lol  Max, how good was the anthology?  Any stories in particular
that you would really recommend?

John  : )