[ExI] How effective is caloric restriction likely to be in humans?

Max More max at maxmore.com
Thu Mar 25 16:56:28 UTC 2010

spike:

>Here's where I am going with this:  I am trying to figure out why CR
>apparently is somewhat less effective in life extension for modern
>humans than it is for other mammals.  With those guys the delta

Have you read Aubrey's thoughts on why calorie restriction is
unlikely to extend human life spans by more than 2 or 3 years? See
pages 28 to 30 of Ending Aging.

His more detailed argument is in a paper that I haven't found online,
except for the abstract:

The Unfortunate Influence of the Weather on the Rate of Ageing: Why
Human Caloric Restriction or Its Emulation May Only Extend Life
Expectancy by 2-3 Years

http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?doi=10.1159/000082192

Much research interest, and recently even commercial interest, has
been predicated on the assumption that reasonably closely-related
species - humans and mice, for example - should, in principle,
respond to ageing-retarding interventions with an increase in maximum
lifespan roughly proportional to their control lifespan (that without
the intervention). Here, it is argued that the best-studied
life-extending manipulations of mice are examples of a category that
is highly unlikely to follow this rule, and more likely to exhibit
only a similar absolute increase in maximum lifespan from one species
to the next, independent of the species' control lifespan. That
category - reduction in dietary calories or in the organism's ability
to metabolize or sense them - is widely recognized to extend lifespan
as an evolutionary adaptation to transient starvation in the wild, a
situation which alters the organism's optimal partitioning of
resources between maintenance and reproduction. What has been
generally overlooked is that the extent of the evolutionary pressure
to maintain adaptability to a given duration of starvation varies
with the frequency of that duration, something which is - certainly
for terrestrial animals and less directly for others - determined
principally by the weather. The pattern of starvation that the
weather imposes is suggested here to be of a sort that will tend to
cause all terrestrial animals, even those as far apart
phylogenetically as nematodes and mice, to possess the ability to
live a similar maximum absolute (rather than proportional) amount
longer when food is short than when it is plentiful. This
generalization is strikingly in line with available data, leading
(given the increasing implausibility of further extending human mean
but not maximum lifespan in the industrialized world) to the
biomedically and commercially sobering conclusion that interventions
which manipulate caloric intake or its sensing are unlikely ever to
confer more than 2 or 3 years' increase in human mean or maximum
lifespan at the most.

I though the following link would yield the whole paper, but it seems dead:
http://www.sens.org/node/files/sens/weatherPP.pdf

Max