[ExI] How effective is caloric restriction likely to be in humans?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Mar 25 20:43:07 UTC 2010

On 3/25/2010 2:31 PM, spike wrote:

> Consequently, the conclusion is compelling that since CR works for mammals
> and other beasts, it should work for proles.  The way I explain the apparent
> lower benefit is that we already reap some of the CR benefits by our
> lifestyles.

The usual argument is that we've already got most of the life-extending
upregulating and downregulating genomic benefits as a result of
selection. But I do like the weather cycle theory; it fits nicely as a
subroutine in my Famous Crackpot Theory of 300 Year Cultural Cycles
(given a workout in my book THEORY AND ITS DISCONTENTS, Deakin
University Press, available just about nowhere).

Damien Broderick