[ExI] 'RapeLay' video game goes viral amid outrage

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 17:53:52 UTC 2010

2010/3/30 John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com>:
> This CNN article tells of public anger against Japanese videogame makers who
> let players commit virtual rape.  I wonder where future technological
> advances will take this matter...  And can the courts and law enforcement
> curtail it?

Do you really want to curtail it?  Sure, you're offended, so am I, but
does that trump free speech?  Also, generational rebellion/coming of
age typically manifests with something like this.  A cultural
expression that is "in your face" toward the established order.  In my
time it was long hair on boys, peace, love, sex, drugs, and rock and
roll.  the next gen folks went for nihilism and gangsta rap.  Then
came a rollback/reaction to all that hedonism, with a rise of the
religious "all war all the time" authoritarian worship whack jobs.

Take a deep breath.  The point of attacking your meme set is to make
your head explode.  (Figuratively, of course.)  Smile.  It's okay.
Kids will still end up good people, despite "Grand Theft Auto" or
"RapeLay".

For sure though, think on it.  It's a great lesson in human nature,
yours and theirs.

Best, Jeff Davis

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as
         you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic
                       human duty, the duty to take the consequences."
                                                      P.J. O'Rourke