[ExI] 'RapeLay' video game goes viral amid outrage

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Wed Mar 31 19:08:57 UTC 2010

This has been known of for many years, and is hardly the most
extreme example out there.  The news is that word of this is
just now hitting mainstream media.

Pirating is widespread enough that it is available effectively for
free, though one may have to spend a few hours searching
(and possibly, have been exposed enough to think of the right
keywords to search on).  As with any freely available and
popular* data, it has been archived around the world, and is
impossible to eradicate by any means that call a lot of
attention to it.

* Popular precisely because it elicits such a moral panic
without directly inflicting harm on anyone - with the arguable
exception of the person playing the game, who has unarguably
consented.  (At least, from their own point of view, but part of
the point of such acts is sometimes to demonstrate that their
own point of view, not the law's or any other person's, is the
only thing controlling actions like obtaining and playing this
game.  Since said other points of view declare it "forbidden"
but fail to convincingly explain the reasons why - and fallbacks
like "because I will punish you if I find out" only mean that it
has to be done in stealth, as in the fabled Spartan mindset -
said other points are rejected.  The disconnect often has to
do with the value placed on perception by third parties, which
tends to be higher the older one gets, and thus the more
aware one is of the reliance one has on the rest of society.)