[ExI] Mining the Sky SL Talk I gave today

samantha sjatkins at mac.com
Sun May 2 07:03:26 UTC 2010

The Avantguardian wrote:
> [...]

We already sorta have this ability.  See Project Thor from the 60s for a
simple but deadly lesser application.  Hooking some thrusters to a rock
after despinning it and aiming reasonably well aren't that hard.  Of
course reasonably well for something like this may be in a radius of
miles where Thor was from very low orbiting satellites and the spears
had tail fins and some primitive control structures.  So it isn't a
terribly deadly weapon compared to nukes and a rather pricey way to get
that much effect.  At least for now.  Now big mass drivers on the moon
slinging well designed hunks of material along known trajectories (Moon
is a Harsh Mistress) may be another story.  Dunno.  It is something to
think about but the payoff and the need is much much greater than this
danger.

- samantha