[ExI] Cryonics is getting weird

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Tue May 18 15:25:56 UTC 2010

2010/5/17 samantha <sjatkins at mac.com>:
> Dave Sill wrote:
>
>> I think they're primarily making the point that you can't block them
>> from doing their thing simply by delaying the process. They're also
>> doing what they contractually agreed to do.
>
> No.  They agreed to cryonically preserve his brain to the best of current
> art.

So any delay in preservation means Alcor can just refuse to do it's
job? I don't think so.

> That brain is now useless mush.

We don't really know that, do we? Properly embalmed and stored in a
sealed casket, it seems *possible* that sufficient structure could
remain. Do you really want Alcor to just assume it's useless mush?

> This is the equivalent to digging up
> a corpse because you agreed to marry the person before their untimely
> death.

No it isn't. You can't marry a dead person.

>  It is gruesome slime smeared on cryonics.  I do not consider this a
> "victory" in the slightest.

Yeah, it's gruesome. So what? Cryopreservation shouldn't be skipped in
cases where it's particularly icky.

-Dave