[ExI] Cryonics is getting more respect from the courts

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat May 22 17:44:01 UTC 2010

On 20 May 2010 19:22, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> Not at all sure that "essentialist" is the right word to describe someone
> like me. "Continuist" or something, maybe, if there is such a philosophical
> category.

Never paid attention to the fact that you were one... ;-)

But let me understand your stance better: do you demand that any
arbitrarily low degree of material continuity is never broken at any
instant (as in Moravec-style uploading or in the seven-year cycle of
biological replacement of human molecules), but accept for the rest a
definition of identity which might allow for the entire replacement of
the "substratum" provided that such continuity is conserved, or...? In
fact, in my "relativistic" view on the issue, this might well have at
least some symbolic meaning...

And even in such case, would you really consider teleport as "death"?

--
Stefano Vaj