[ExI] Gene Patents: Good or Bad?

Sondre Bjellås sondre-list at bjellas.com
Thu May 27 12:18:07 UTC 2010

You ask if company X should be allowed to protect their invention in any
possible way: Yes they should! Everyone should try to protect their core
business ideas and implementations. Nobody has the right to corporate or
private information. Trade secrets is an essential part of many businesses
today.

Other than that, we agree on most points. Trade secrets and
copyright/trademark laws are more than enough to protect the software space.
The heart of the discussion is patents on genes, which I would say is
somewhat similar to patent on elements (gold, silver, titanium).

The economy in Norway is scary, it's too good. It makes it hard to export
Norwegian goods and services. Norway was (I think) the first country to
raise it's interests rates, as we have a problem with to many people
investing money into real-estate which doesn't really do good for anyone
economy. Few companies have had to cut down on employees and even less has
closed down. Some companies have used the "crisis" as a mechanism for laying
off unwanted employees, which is really, really hard in this country due to
regulations and laws that protect the employee.

Other than that, it's a great country to live in if you like to take things
easy and don't worry to much. Before we found oil, you wouldn't want to have
lived here. We're close to 4.8 million that lives here now and we have the
worst railroad and road system in whole of Europe ;-)

- Sondre (who's working in the top-office of Norway's largest office
building)

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 4:20 AM, samantha <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> Sondre Bjellås wrote:
>
>> Obviously would it be positive for a single entity to gain
>> government-controlled monopoly on anything it can sell, that's pretty
>> certain. It is also very certain that this has negative consequence on the
>> society as a whole.
>>

> That is an on the face prejudicial way of saying it.  If X puts together
> the money, resources to R&D something new to market then X gets to say under
> what terms they will sell it that the market will bear (people are willing
> to pay) and under what conditions they will or will not divulge the innards
> of how exactly X works.    Do you want to claim that somehow everyone on
> earth has the right to know all those innards just because it would be
> convenient for them if they did?   Or that everyone has a right to X's
> production for whatever they wish to pay including for free?
> If not, exactly how would you arrange things so it is possible for X to
> actually turn a profit, which is to receive more value than the R&D of the
> product costs?   Do you think that is greedy?  If X does not receive more
> value then X has no more to invest in producing new values beyond what it
> started with.  It cannot grow to produce and offer more value to the world.
>
> In light of this why wouldn't X deserve/need some greater rights to control
> of production and licensing of its product for some period of time?  Of
> course X could just keep all the innards of the product a trade secret, at
> least for long enough to recoup costs.  But then those that could build
> other good and valuable things on that tech don't get to know about it or
> use it on any terms and reinvent something sort of like it.    Is this
> better?  Are you sure?
>

>> Certain types of organizations and products probably wouldn't sell as well
>> in a society without patent laws, but you would most likely have other
>> products and organizations which would serve other purposes and markets.
>> Nothing beats the free market, and it's not a positive trend we're seeing
>> around the global with big governments protecting failing corporations, some
>> companies and products are just prone to fail sooner or later.
>>

> Government bailouts are totally separable from patents and other forms of
> IP so let's not conflate them.   The Free Market requires sound economics
> and property law.  The above is part of what is required in order for
> producers to produce in a self-sustaining and increasing capacity.
>

>> It's a philosophical discussion whether "intellectual property" deserves
>> to exist in the manner it does today, but that's a whole another discussion.
>>

> It is indeed a philosophical (and particularly economic) discussion.  It
> cannot be fully avoided if we are to talk about this area intelligibly.
> Otherwise we would likely just be posturing without an agreed basis to a
> large extent.
>

>> With this said, I would just like to add an example to your question:

> [...]

Sondre Bjellås | Senior Solutions Architect | Steria
http://www.sondreb.com/