[ExI] THE MIGHTY ORIGINAL

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 2 15:53:56 UTC 2010

On Nov 1, 2010, at 2:21 PM, Damien Broderick wrote:

> If nano makes it possible to compile an exact copy in three dimensions, only the fourth will be lost--and that irretrievably, except to the most extreme tests.

I don't know what you mean by that.

> All of this might have some bearing on how individuals regard *themselves* as "originals", but we have no experiences of nearly exact human copies

Yes and for the same reason Evolution had little incentive to develop our emotional hunches regarding this issue so that they corresponded with reality. So if we have no experience on this matter yet, and if there is no reason to think that emotion will lead us in the correct direction, then if we are ever in a situation where it's important to make correct decisions involving the original-copy distinction we will only have logic to rely on. Even if you are so lucky as to live long enough to enter the singularity you will never survive it unless bronze age beliefs and superstitions are abandoned.

  John K Clark