[ExI] hot processors?

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Nov 2 18:29:03 UTC 2010

Question please for you microprocessor hipsters.  I retired a seven year old desktop and replaced with an HP Pavilion dv7 notebook.  I have plenty of sims that I run on a regular basis, ones that need to run over night.  I ran a new one yesterday (it’s an excel macro) and found that it runs about six times faster than the 7 yr old desktop.  However… after about half an hour it conked.  It didn’t actually crash, in fact excel didn’t even stop.  When I touched the mouse this morning, it resumed right where it left off, but it did nothing all night.

Is that a feature of laptops?  Can the batteries run down while the thing is plugged in to AC?  Is there any reason why a laptop would not run continuously over night? It put out a lot of heat while it was running: perhaps there is some kind of thermal protection?