[ExI] Fire and evolution (was hypnosis)

lists1 at evil-genius.com lists1 at evil-genius.com
Tue Nov 2 21:23:25 UTC 2010

From: "spike" <spike66 at att.net>

"I have long pondered if speciation between humans and chimps was
accelerated by the fact that for some reason the protohumans figured out
that little burning bush trick, and the chimps didn't, or just couldn't
master it.  This would represent the technology segregation we talk
about today, that separates those humans who use electronics from those
who do not.  Today it is called the digital divide.  Back then it was
what we might call the conflagration chasm."

That would be surprising, as the earliest current evidence for the
domestication of fire is ~1.7 million years ago, and that is hotly
disputed: many archaeologists put it ~400,000 years ago.  All these
dates are long, long after the human/chimp/bonobo split 6-7 million
years ago.

Of course, the progression of protohuman evolution from the split onward
had many different branches, and was not a neat linear sequence...there
were many species of Australopithecus and Homo which died out.  So
Spike's hypothesis may well be correct for a more recent evolutionary
divide.