[ExI] Fwd: [london-hack-space] Request for knowledge: Implantable Microchips

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 16:30:29 UTC 2010

I'll leave it to someone more qualified talk about possible medical
concerns, but
as to standardization: nope.

"Standardization" means "let other people make stuff that works with our
toys",
which is something that private vendors are loathe to do in any early stage
market
such as this, because they think that's a part of the market they could
serve
themselves.  It is only once the market matures, and vendors realize they
can do
better by focusing on a part of the market and letting other people handle
the rest,
that standards begin to emerge.

Of course, it is usually the case that vendors can do better by specializing
on
some profitable niche all along, even in an early stage market.  In new
markets, it
is not obvious what that niche is.  But more important is greed, and the
common,
usually errant belief that one vendor can do everything a customer would
want with
no outside assistance.  (Also known as the Not Invented Here syndrome.)