[ExI] War ----- It's a meme!

Darren Greer darren.greer3 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 23:26:04 UTC 2010

> >>I'm so proud of the list members for showing sensitivity regarding the
> indigenous peoples of Alaska.  I grew up there with a bestfriend who
> was half Inuit and half White.  He caught hell from both sides...>>

Can relate to that. My Dad's First Nations and Mom's Irish. They used to
call us, well, I won't tell you what the local pedigreed European
descendants called us, but I was once told in a talking circle when I was a
kid that I didn't belong there because I didn't live on the rez. This elder
spoke up for me though. He told the objector that a 'circle has no corners.'
So the guy beside me gets a scolding and I get my first geometry lesson. :)

Darren

> John
>
> On 11/9/10, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2010/11/9 Darren Greer wrote>:
> >> It's not so much the generalized term that people are using, but what
> that
> >> generalized term means and where it comes from.  Inuit means "our
> people"
> >> from a Northern Indigenous tribal dialect. Eskimo means "eater of raw
> >> flesh"
> >> from the Cree, who are incontestibly not Eskimo or Inuit. Nit-picking
> >> aside,
> >> I can see that the objections to the first might be greater than the
> >> second.
> >>

> > Thanks for the info. Complicated, isn't it?
> >
> > Does that mean that Spike is really an Eskimo?  ;)
> > (He loves sushi).
> >
> > Some sources do give alternative (less-offensive) meanings for Eskimo.
> >

> > BillK

"I don't regret the kingdoms. What sense in borders and nations and
patriotism? But I miss the kings."

-*Harold and Maude*