[ExI] Fire and evolution (was hypnosis)

lists1 at evil-genius.com lists1 at evil-genius.com
Wed Nov 10 03:16:58 UTC 2010

> By coincidence,
> <http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-11-stone-age-humans-brain-power.html>
>
> Stone Age humans were only able to develop relatively advanced tools
> after their brains evolved a greater capacity for complex thought,
> according to a new study that investigates why it took early humans
> almost two million years to move from razor-sharp stones to a
> hand-held stone axe.
> ------------------
>
> BillK

Sort of.  The actual conclusion is "The physical capabilities of Stone
Age humans were not limiting their ability to make more complex stone
tools."

 From that, they *assume* that brainpower was the limitation.  Which may
be true, but it's an assumption.  For instance, other possibilities are
that stone axes were not a useful tool until much later, perhaps due to
changes in environment, diet, and social organization.

(Note that I'm not arguing for or against...just pointing out the leap
of faith involved here.)