[ExI] Iain M Banks on uploading

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Thu Nov 11 15:26:22 UTC 2010

Interview with Iain M Banks in New Scientist:

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/culturelab/2010/11/iain-m-banks-upload-for-everlasting-life.html

A very short, but thoroughly Banksian set of responses.

I particularly liked:

Q:  In your book, virtual minds can get sent to a virtual hell for bad
behaviour. What gave you this idea?

Banks:  Part of a science fiction writer's job is to think how we would
manage to fuck up something so potentially cool and life-affirming - so
virtual hells seemed almost as obvious as virtual heavens.

That pretty much sums up half of all the online discussion about the
singularity that I hear inside the singularity community.

Richard Loosemore