[ExI] Existential Nihilism.

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 12 06:27:45 UTC 2010

On Nov 11, 2010, at 10:12 PM, Alan Grimes wrote:

> Since I'm the single most provocative poster on this list

Provocative? Yours is the conventional (and erroneous) view believed by 99.9% of the general public and even most members of this list who should know better.

> Existentialism, says that you are exactly what you are, I am what I am, and the world is what it is.

Yes, I must admit that's true, A is most certainly equal to A, but that revelation doesn't strike me as being particularly deep.

> I don't want anyone turning it [the world] into computronium.

Fine, there is no disputing matters of taste, but your personal wishes or mine on this matter are irrelevant.

> Our consciousness, however, defies ultimate nihilism because it exists.

What's with this "our" business? MY consciousness exists, I only have theories about yours.

> the philisophical, brain-obsessed zombies that I call uploaders).

Uploaders like me are mind-obsessed, you are brain-obsessed; and if you believe in philosophical zombies then you can't believe in Darwin's Theory of Evolution because the two are 100% incompatible.

 John K Clark