[ExI] Let's play What If.

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 16:10:59 UTC 2010

2010/11/14 John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>:
> And yet another way to say the same thing is "no possible evidence would
> make the copy-original distinction scientifically relevant"; theological
> relevance is a different matter entirely, but as I've said before I don't
> believe in the soul.

Exactly my point.

BTW, speaking of essentialist paradoxes: take the cloning operated by
provoking a scission in a totipotent embryo (something which obviously
does not give place to two half-children, but to a couple of twins).

Has the soul - or, for those who prefer to put some secular veneer on
such concepts, the individual's "identity" - gone extinct in favour of
two brand-new souls? Has a new soul been added casually to the one
twin remained deprived of it? Has the original soul splitted in two
halves?

What about saying that the question does not have any real sense?

--
Stefano Vaj