[ExI] Hard Takeoff-money

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 09:40:59 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 6:40 AM, Keith Henson  wrote:
> True.  One of my more freaky realizations in the last year is that
> certain classes of finance are beyond human abilities.  In reading up
> on the big drop in the stock market early this year, it became clear
> that unaided humans are not in the running for the kind of "finance"
> that certain computer programs do.
>
> Currently the people who write the descriptions of how computers
> should make money in the market using short time (ms) trades have been
> bitching that they are not getting enough of the money these things
> make.
>
> Well, the obvious course of events is that someone programs one of
> these to run the whole thing, including bank deposits and gives one of
> them a small stake to work with then cuts it loose with instructions
> to spawn new versions and accounts.
>
> So if you later wonder how the AIs cornered the world's capital, I
> mentioned it first.  :-)

Won't happen until the Singularity, when all bets are off anyway.

The point of these trading programs is to assist in making a few
people very, very rich and the great majority poor and unemployed.
Working great so far.

(But surely the burning torches and pitchforks can't be far away, can they?).

BillK