[ExI] The grain controversy (was Paleo/Primal health)

lists1 at evil-genius.com lists1 at evil-genius.com
Tue Nov 16 03:46:29 UTC 2010

On 11/15/10 4:23 PM, extropy-chat-request at lists.extropy.org wrote:
> Here are a couple links:
>
> http://thespartandiet.blogspot.com/2010/10/its-official-grains-were-part-of.html
> http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/12/17/tech-archaeology-grain-africa-cave.html
>
> So it obviously happened. It's very hard to tell how widespread it
> was, how important it was, how seasonal it was, what percentage of
> caloric intake it provided, etc. Interestingly, it's still being done
> by the Ojibwe:http://www.bineshiiwildrice.com.

Here's Dr. Cordain's response to the Mozambique data:
http://thepaleodiet.blogspot.com/2009/12/dr-cordain-comments-on-new-evidence-of.html

any frequency -- nor, more importantly, that it had been processed in a
way that would actually give it usable nutritional value (i.e. soaked
and cooked, of which there is no evidence for the behavior or associated
technology (cooking vessels, baskets) for at least 75,000 more years).

Therefore, it was either being used to make glue -- or it was a
temporary response to starvation and didn't do them much good anyway.

Don't forget that the natural condition of wild creatures is hunger.
Most of us have never been without food for one single day...or if we
have, it's been purely by choice.  If you get hungry enough you'll eat
tree bark.  The real question is: is there evidence that wild sorghum
was eaten frequently and processed in a way that would make it actually
digestible and nutritious?  In other words, that there would have been
significant selection pressure for eating and digesting it?

As far as the Spartan Diet article, it strongly misrepresents both the
articles it quotes and the paleo diet.  Let's go through the
misrepresentations:

1) As per the linked article, the 30 Kya year old European site has
evidence that "Palaeolithic Europeans ground down plant roots similar to
potatoes..."  The fact that Palaeolithic people dug and ate some nonzero
quantity of *root starches* is not under dispute: the assertion of paleo
dieters is that *grains* (containing gluten/gliadin) are an agricultural
invention.

(Also note that the linked article finishes with a bizarre claim that
consumption of *any* starch means that a diet is not meat-centered.  As
I've linked before, hunter-gatherer caloric intake averages about 2/3
meat and 1/3 non-meat calories.  Apparently there are a lot of people
who still confuse Atkins with paleo.)

Link to the original paper (full text not available, but supplemental
material clearly shows that cattail is the 'grains' of starch in question):
http://www.pnas.org/content/107/44/18815.abstract
I've seen this misrepresentation before: articles speak of 'grains of
starch' found as residue, usually of root vegetables, and anti-paleo
crusaders mistake this to mean cereal grains, like wheat and barley!

As you might expect, the Spartan Diet page claims explicitly that these
are cereal grains being processed, even though they're not.  Hmmm...

2) No one disputes the 23 Kya Israel data.  However, there is a big
difference between "time of first discovery" and "used by the entire
ancestral human population".  It took another 11,000 years for people in
one valley in the Middle East to starve enough to actually start growing
grains on purpose, and it took thousands more years to spread anywhere
else.  For instance, Northern Europe only agriculturalized about 5,000
years ago.

Note that it takes a *lot* of grain to feed a single person, not to
mention the problem of storage for nomadic hunter-gatherers during the
11 months per year that a grain 'crop' is not harvestable -- so arguing
that wild grains were the majority of anyone's diet previous to
domestication is a stretch.  And it is silly to claim that meaningful
grain storage could somehow occur before a culture settled down into
permanent villages.

3) The Spartan Diet page claims that consumption of grains by modern-era
Native Americans somehow invalidates the paleo diet, by making a
strawman claim about "The Paleo Diet belief that grain was consumed only
as a cultivated crop..."  Obviously grain was consumed as a wild food
before it was cultivated, or no one would have thought to cultivate it!
  I addressed this already in 2).

Not to mention that humans didn't even *arrive* in the Americas until
~12 Kya, making this issue irrelevant.

4) The Cordain rebuttal above addresses the Mozambique data, and I won't
rehash it.

I also note that the "Spartan Diet" is a low-fat diet that opposes the
use of butter and any fat but extra-virgin olive oil -- in other words,
based on the long-since-discredited theory that fat is bad and saturated
fats are worse.  It's apparently a gimmick diet based on what they think
the Spartans ate...which is better than most gimmick diets, but it's not
based on science.

More in my next message.