[ExI] Singularity (Changed Subject Line)

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Nov 16 05:22:25 UTC 2010

On Nov 14, 2010, at 10:40 AM, Giulio Prisco wrote:

> I wish to support Michael here. I don't share many of the SIAI
> positions and views on the Singularity and the evolution of AGI, but I
> think they do interesting work and play a useful role. The world is
> interesting because it is big and varied, with different persons and
> groups doing their own things with their own focus.

I second that.  I think SIAI does some really good things that I am very delighted and impressed by.   That does not mean that other criticisms get a free pass though or that valid criticisms should be ignored just because some criticisms are obviously overblown.   Is there a named cognitive bias for that?  It is a common pattern.

A voices a perhaps valid and reasonable seeming criticism of X.
B voices an outrageous or overly harsh criticism of X.
C takes offense over the remarks of B.
D voices support for C and says positive things about X.

Result, most people seem to be left feeling like all the criticisms were overblown.  I have seen this pattern 50 times
if I have seen it once.

> In particular I think the criticism of idiots like Carrico and his
> handful of followers, mentioned by Stefano, should be ignored. We have
> better and more interesting things to do.

Oh, and E  brings up the fact that F, who is generally despised, also criticizes X.

Yawn.  Pass the nanotubes.

- samantha