[ExI] Eliezer S. Yudkowsky, Singularitarian Principles. Update?

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Nov 16 06:24:40 UTC 2010

On Nov 14, 2010, at 9:15 PM, Aleksei Riikonen wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 6:48 AM, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
>> On Nov 12, 2010, at 2:44 PM, Aleksei Riikonen wrote:
>>
>>> If people want a new version of Singularitarian Principles
>>> to exist, they can write one themselves.
>>
>> Hardly.  I cannot speak for this Institute.   How would my writing
>> such a thing be anything but my opinion?
>
> No matter who would write such a document, it's just an opinion. There
> is currently no codified "ideology of singularitarianism" that would
> be owned by any single Institute.

That is not what I want.  I want to know what the current working theories are concerning FAI and and what type of FAI is the current working plan, if any.    For a time it seemed to be CEV.  But some people in SIAI claim that is obsolete while others say it is still the general plan.  So I would like clarification.

> Eliezer and other SIAI folks seem to like it that way, so there likely
> will not be a codified document of Singularitarian principles coming
> from their direction. So if there are people who want such a codified
> ideology, they're going to have to codify it themselves.
>
>>  I want to know what the SIAI current positions are.
>
> That's a different thing than wanting them to present a codified
> ideology. Just read their recent publications. This is a good start:
>
> http://singinst.org/riskintro/index.html

It is a start but not sufficient.  It doesn't really propose much of anything.  Researching what remains stable in a self-improving brain with no real general model that is likely to cover the domain of self-improving brains or even a single working example seems rather weak to me.

 Many of the items spoken of at this link are certainly important and worthwhile but I don't see a lot of meat here.  Am I missing something?  I can work my way through the newer documents on site that I haven't read yet.

- samantha