[ExI] More evidence for incomplete human adaptation to grain-based diets

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 20:42:35 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 10:46 PM,  <lists1 at evil-genius.com> wrote:

> More evidence:
>
> "Simoons classic work on the incidence of celiac disease [Simoons 1981]
> shows that the distribution of the HLA B8 haplotype of the human major
> histocompatibility complex (MHC) nicely follows the spread of farming from
> the Mideast to northern Europe. Because there is strong linkage
> disequilibrium between HLA B8 and the HLA genotypes that are associated with
> celiac disease, it indicates that those populations who have had the least
> evolutionary exposure to cereal grains (wheat primarily) have the highest
> incidence of celiac disease. This genetic argument is perhaps the strongest
> evidence to support Yudkin's observation that humans are incompletely
> adapted to the consumption of cereal grains."

That's evidence that some people don't tolerate gluten well, but it's
not proof that nobody does. It's also proof that we've started to
select for grain tolerance. Paleo diet proponents--at least the ones
I've read so far--argue that nobody should eat grains in any amount
because our bodies can't handle them. Seems obvious to me that some
people do just fine eating grains. I think a rational approach to take
with regard to grains is: don't eat more than your body can tolerate.
If you've got celiac, cut out gluten--but not gluten-free grains. If
you have insulin resistance, cut back on them drastically. If you're
diabetic, skip them altogether except for a weekly indulgence,
perhaps.

-Dave