[ExI] More evidence for incomplete human adaptation to, grain-based diets

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 16:17:42 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 12:36 AM,  <lists1 at evil-genius.com> wrote:

>> That's evidence that some people don't tolerate gluten well, but it's
>> not proof that nobody does. It's also proof that we've started to
>> select for grain tolerance. Paleo diet proponents--at least the ones
>> I've read so far--argue that nobody should eat grains in any amount
>> because our bodies can't handle them. Seems obvious to me that some
>> people do just fine eating grains. I think a rational approach to take
>> with regard to grains is: don't eat more than your body can tolerate.
>> If you've got celiac, cut out gluten--but not gluten-free grains. If
>> you have insulin resistance, cut back on them drastically. If you're
>> diabetic, skip them altogether except for a weekly indulgence,
>> perhaps.
>
> But why would you eat grains, composed of empty calories and anti-nutrients,

According to the USDA, 100 g of whole wheat flour contains 13 g
protein, 11 g figer, 363 mg K, 357 mg P, 62 mg Se, and various other
minerals and vitamins. That's not "empty" calories. Anti-nutrients are
a factor, but they're easily compensated for.

> when you could eat delicious meats composed of necessary amino acids, fats,
> and nutrients, or tasty vegetables composed of fiber and nutrients?

How about "because I want to"? I *like* to eat grains. One of the
greatest pleasures in my life is a slice of crunchy sourdough still
warm from the oven and slathered in butter. I also like a stack of
pancakes with butter and swimming in real maple syrup. I could give up
these pleasures, but I'm not going to do it without a compelling
reason.

> The argument that "they aren't harmful to SOME people" isn't a reason to
> voluntarily choose them if you have the means to choose more nutritious
> foods.

What, so we're all going to be compelled to eat the most nutritious
foods? Why? Look, I like meat and veggies as much as the next guy, I'm
just not ready to give up grains and beans and dairy because someone
thinks I'll be better off without them.

> (Grains, particularly corn and soybeans, are indeed cheap, mostly because
> they're heavily subsidized by our government...we are therefore deliberately
> creating the very health problems we wring our hands about.)

Bullshit. Grains are cheap mostly because they aren't that expensive
to produce. When there's compelling evidence that they're as bad as
you claim, we can take steps to address that. Until then, it's an
interesting idea that warrants further investigation--but not
immediate, widespread action.

> NB: I'm a terrible paleo eater: I eat sushi (oh no! rice!), sandwiches with
> a bun (albeit composed of over half a pound of meat, usually grass-fed), and
> burritos with a tortilla (albeit composed entirely of meat and veggies, no
> beans/rice).  So I'm in no position to make a purist argument.  I'm
> voluntarily choosing something that is most likely somewhat bad for me.  But
> that's fine, because I'm active enough that I can get away with some
> quantity of empty calories.

So you don't even practice what you preach...

-Dave