[ExI] Grain diets and health (Paleo/primal health)

J. Stanton js_exi at gnolls.org
Thu Nov 18 19:26:27 UTC 2010

I'll get to Dave's other points later, but this deserves immediate response:

On 11/18/10 4:00 AM, extropy-chat-request at lists.extropy.org wrote:
> On 18 November 2010 02:59, Dave Sill<sparge at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> >  2010/11/17 Stefano Vaj<stefano.vaj at gmail.com>:
>> >  Rampant obesity, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, etc. are
>> >  postindustrial problems. They didn't start 10,000 years ago when
>> >  agriculture began. They began recently when industrialization made
>> >  highly calorie-dense food readily and cheaply available.
> This is not what paleopathology seems to indicate.

Stefano is correct.  In every known case in which a culture has taken up
agriculture and its associated grain-based diet, lifespan, height, and
all available indicators of health immediately crash.  This alone should
torpedo the entire "grains aren't bad for you" argument.

Jared Diamond:

"Skeletons from Greece and Turkey show that the average height of
hunter-gatherers toward the end of the ice ages was a generous 5'9" for
men, 5'5" for women. With the adoption of agriculture, height crashed,
and by 3000 B.C. had reached a low of 5'3" for men, 5' for women. By
classical times heights were very slowly on the rise again, but modern
Greeks and Turks have still not regained the average height of their
distant ancestors."

"At Dickson Mounds ... Compared to the hunter-gatherers who preceded
them, the farmers had a nearly fifty percent increase in enamel defects
indicative of malnutrition, a fourfold increase in iron-deficiency
anemia (evidenced by a bone condition called porotic hyperostosis), a
threefold rise in bone lesions reflecting infectious disease in general,
and an increase in degenerative conditions of the spine, probably
reflecting a lot of hard physical labor. "Life expectancy at birth in
the preagricultural community was about twenty-six years," says
Armelagos, "but in the postagricultural community it was nineteen years.
So these episodes of nutritional stress and infectious disease were
seriously affecting their ability to survive."

[Note: That's a 27% decrease. Imagine if average US lifespan suddenly
crashed from 78 to 57.]

http://www.environnement.ens.fr/perso/claessen/agriculture/mistake_jared_diamond.pdf

"Cassidy CM. Nutrition and health in agriculturalists and
hunter-gatherers: a case study of two prehistoric populations. in
Nutritional Anthropology. Eds Jerome NW et al. 1980 Redgrave Publishing
Company, Pleasantville, NY pg 117-145"

[Note: Hardin Village were North American farmers 1500 AD to 1675 AD.
Indian Knoll were North American hunter-gatherers who were settled in
the same location c. 3000 BC.]

"    1.    Life expectancies for both sexes at all ages were lower at
Hardin Village than at Indian Knoll.  [Dramatically lower, and very
similar to the decrease seen at Dickson Mounds: see chart in article.]
     2.    Infant mortality was higher at Hardin Village.
     3.    Iron-deficiency anemia of sufficient duration to cause bone
changes was absent at Indian Knoll, but present at Hardin Village, where
50 percent of cases occurred in children under age five.
     4.    Growth arrest episodes at Indian Knoll were periodic and more
often of short duration and were possibly due to food shortage in late
winter; those at Hardin Village occurred randomly and were more often of
long duration, probably indicative of disease as a causative agent.
     5.    More children suffered infections at Hardin Village than at
Indian Knoll.
     6.    The syndrome of periosteal inflammation was more common at
Hardin Village than at Indian Knoll. [Porotic hyperostosis again.]
     7.    Tooth decay was rampant at Hardin Village and led to early
abscessing and tooth loss; decay was unusual at Indian Knoll and
abscessing occurred later in life because of severe wear to the teeth.
The differences in tooth wear and caries rate are very likely
attributable to dietary differences between the two groups."

"Overall, the agricultural Hardin Villagers were clearly less healthy
than the hunter-forager Indian Knollers, who lived by hunting and
gathering."

More information and long discussion here:
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/low-carb-diets/nutrition-and-health-in-agriculturalists-and-hunter-gatherers/

JS
http://www.gnolls.org