[ExI] Hard Takeoff

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 04:52:28 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 5:31 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>>> We know the path to artificial intelligence is littered with the
>>> corpses of those who have gone before.  The path beyond artificial
>>> intelligence may one day be littered with the corpses of our dreams,
>>> of our visions, of ourselves.
>
>>Gee Spike, isn't it difficult to paint a sunny day with only black paint?
>
> Mike we must recognize both the danger and promise of AGI.  We might have
> only one chance to get it exactly right on the first try, but only one.

Agreed.  I just hope vigilance doesn't necessarily have be so gloomy.  :)

Those were harshly poetic terms "littered with the corpses of our
dreams" - geez.

Maybe some eco-friendly rewording would help:  "the path beyond
artificial intelligence is paved with the recycled dreams and visions
of humanity's collective past selves"

Those dreams & visions can be recycled and contribute in some way,
right?  At least not carelessly littered corpses....

I'm just joking (mostly) - as your words made me both laugh and
recoil.  I figured you'd appreciate the second look at what you wrote
(even if through a warped view).