[ExI] Best case, was Hard Takeoff

Aleksei Riikonen aleksei at iki.fi
Fri Nov 19 23:37:53 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 1:10 AM, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Aleksai wrote:
>
> Yeah. It's really painful to read transhumanist mailing lists these
> days, the quality of discussion is so low. (This is true of SL4 too,
> though there it's more a matter of silence. All the quality discussion
> seems to have moved to e.g. certain blogs and websites, instead of
> mailing lists, which were on the intellectual forefront in ages past.)
>

> I am so tired of people whining about this subject! lol  I remember
> when I first joined this list *eleven* years ago, people were pining
> for the "golden age" of years past...

To be fair, I'll add that there is still *some*
discussion/notes/announcements that is worth reading (and one can
learn to filter down to it). After all, that's why I'm still
subscribed to many lists, even though I ignore >90% of the content.

Also, there's nothing wrong with some people using mailing lists for
fun casual chat. The painful part is the discussion that tries to be
serious but is of really low quality.

--
Aleksei Riikonen - http://www.iki.fi/aleksei