[ExI] Designated non-uploader was The atoms red herring.

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 18:26:13 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 5:00 AM,  Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com> wrote:

I have a thought.  Alan, would you consider being the designated
non-uploader like a designated non drinking driver?

When everyone else has uploaded, you occasionally check the
blinken-blinken lights on the control panel for the computronium
everyone else has uploaded into.  If the blinken-blinken lights quit
blinken, your task is to push the reset button and save the entire
uploaded world.

While this is partly humor, I agree that one way uploading is
personally distasteful.  But if all steps were fully reversible, which
should be no harder, then most of my objections go away.

Also, I have no idea if there is any organization in the transhumanist
movement that could make such an appointment.  But since I have been
appointed "sort of an ur-transhumanist" by RU Sirius
http://www.10zenmonkeys.com/2007/02/05/a-reprint-of-an-interview-with-keith-henson-by-ru-sirius-2/
there is no reason I could not appoint you the designated non-uploader
if you want the title.

Keith