[ExI] Hard Takeoff

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 22:15:15 UTC 2010

On 21 November 2010 22:59, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
> If we knew how to add the right kind of learning to the chess playing programs (which are largely more brute force today) then yes, they could easily derive this knowledge.  Except chess playing programs do not generally look at the problem at all the same way humans do so the result would likely not be very useful for training would be human chess masters.

What's wrong with brute force? The lack of chess "qualia"? ;-)

I suspect that the first Turing-passing programmes will be largely
based on brute-force computation and large recourse to immense
databases of "human-encoded" knowledge. This would not qualify them
any less "intelligent" IMHO than any worse-performing program more
closely mimicking human-brain working, nor less likely to be socially
recognised as "human".

--
Stefano Vaj