[ExI] Hard Takeoff.

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 22 16:31:42 UTC 2010

On Nov 17, 2010, at 2:00 PM, spike wrote:

>> On Behalf Of BillK
>> How something can be designed to be 'Friendly' without emotions or
>> caring is a mystery to me...BillK
>
> BillK, this is only one of many mysteries inherent in the notion of AI.

I think emotion is FAR less mysterious than intelligence, emotion just predisposes you to one class of actions rather than another. If you are in a confrontation with something and are in the fear mode you are more likely to run away, if you are in the anger mode you are more likely to attack. There is no corresponding simple way to describe intelligence because it is vastly more complicated; certainly AI researchers found that to be so and so did Evolution.  And I have even found in my personal life that it is far easier to get angry or scared than to get smart, and I'll bet you too have found that getting smart is hard work while any idiot can emote.

 John K Clark