[ExI] new entry from symphony of science

Darren Greer darren.greer3 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 15:45:56 UTC 2010

>I do think we can write music about science. <

I went on a kick awhile ago looking for good poets waxing on hard science.
It seems to be a cross-discipline that hasn't caught on much. There are some
good scientists doing it who are bad poets and some good poets who are bad
scientists, but few fall into both camps. I thought that was odd, because we
have so many good scientists and mathematicians who are terrific prose
writers.

Darren

2010/11/27 Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com>

> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 9:27 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>
>> So how can we express really meaningful commentary in music?  Can we write
>> music about science?  Using people who have actual brains, talking about
>> something we care about?  How?  I am open to suggestion, but I suspect any
>> way we do it, we end up with something that sounds a lot like symphony of
>> science.
>>

> I think I follow your vector.  I'll try to add.... Nope, can't figure it.
>
> We could build a representation of the Mona Lisa using Lego bricks.  To
> some it would be a dreadful copy that completely fails to capture the
> essence of the original.  To others it would be it an original work of art
> in its own right.
>
> Some might like pitchbending effects applied to "smart people talks" in the
> name of music.  I personally feel that's an original work of art that I do
> not appreciate.
>
> I do think we can write music about science.  It will likely take a hybrid
> creativity to be recognized by both musicians and scientists.

"In the end that's all we have: our memories - electrochemical impulses
stored in eight pounds of tissue the consistency of cold porridge." -
Remembrance of the Daleks