[ExI] Enhanced humans

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Oct 21 00:14:39 UTC 2010

On 10/20/2010 6:37 PM, spike wrote:

> imagine
> a group of people who do some mysterious procedure, resulting in their
> having an average IQ of 160, live an average of 200 years, need to sleep
> only four hours a week, make a ton of money, never get sick and can do 400
> pull-ups.  It would feel threatening I suppose to live in a world where such
> a people existed, especially if they kept that technology to themselves.

But as the much-praised flick GATTACA proved (by showing it happen, so
there, it must be true!), the frail human will best the unchallenged
uber JUST BY SHEER GRIT. Because that's what human is, not like all
those disgusting clone robot Mr. Spock things. </sarcasm off, in case
anyone missed it>

The real problem will only arise if the ubers *do* sequester it to
themselves, which they might well do, not being ethical rational Mr.
Spocks after all. This would be especially vile and infuriating if the
relevant tech could be scaled up and made inexpensive, even if only by a
form of prenatal "immunization" that would strand us poor adult shmucks
in our current unter status but see the next gen enter the superman era.

Currently, the genetic disposition for rage and revenge in the face of
gross inequality and inequity is ready to pop in the USA, because as I
read today (and we surely all know):

<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-reich/the-perfect-storm_1_b_767387.html>

< income in America is now more concentrated in fewer hands than it's
been in 80 years. Almost a quarter of total income generated in the
United States is going to the top 1 percent of Americans.

The top one-tenth of one percent of Americans now earn as much as the
bottom 120 million of us.

Who are these people? With the exception of a few entrepreneurs like
Bill Gates, they're top executives of big corporations and Wall Street,
hedge fund managers, and private equity managers. They include the Koch
brothers, whose wealth increased by billions last year, and who are now
funding tea party candidates across the nation.

Which gets us to the second part of the perfect storm. A relatively few
Americans are buying our democracy as never before. And they're doing it
completely in secret.

Hundreds of millions of dollars are pouring into advertisements for and
against candidates -- without a trace of where the dollars are coming
from. They're laundered through a handful of groups. Fred Maleck, whom
you may remember as deputy director of Richard Nixon's notorious
Committee to Reelect the President (dubbed Creep in the Watergate
scandal), is running one of them. Republican operative Karl Rove runs
another. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, a third.

The Supreme Court's Citizens United vs. the Federal Election Commission
made it possible. The Federal Election Commission says only 32 percent
of groups paying for election ads are disclosing the names of their
donors. By comparison, in the 2006 midterm, 97 percent disclosed; in
2008, almost half disclosed.

We're back to the late 19th century when the lackeys of robber barons
literally deposited sacks of cash on the desks of friendly legislators.
The public never knew who was bribing whom....

Most Americans are in trouble. Their jobs, incomes, savings, and even
homes are on the line. ...Yet their state and local taxes are rising.
And their services are being cut. Teachers and firefighters are being
laid off. The roads and bridges they count on are crumbling, pipelines
are leaking, schools are dilapidated, and public libraries are being shut.

There's no jobs bill to speak of. No WPA to hire those who can't find
jobs in the private sector. Unemployment insurance doesn't reach half of
the unemployed.

Washington says nothing can be done. There's no money left.

No money? The marginal income tax rate on the very rich is the lowest
it's been in more than 80 years. Under President Dwight Eisenhower (who
no one would have accused of being a radical) it was 91 percent. Now
it's 36 percent. Congress is even fighting over whether to end the
temporary Bush tax cut for the rich and return them to the Clinton top
tax of 39 percent.

Much of the income of the highest earners is treated as capital gains,
anyway -- subject to a 15 percent tax. The typical hedge-fund and
private-equity manager paid only 17 percent last year. Their earnings
were not exactly modest. The top 15 hedge-fund managers earned an
average of $1 billion.

Congress won't even return to the estate tax in place during the Clinton
administration - which applied only to those in the top 2 percent of
incomes.

It won't limit the tax deductions of the very rich, which include
interest payments on multimillion dollar mortgages. (Yet Wall Street
refuses to allow homeowners who can't meet mortgage payments to include
their primary residence in personal bankruptcy.)

There's plenty of money to help stranded Americans, just not the
political will to raise it. And at the rate secret money is flooding our
political system, even less political will in the future.

The perfect storm: An unprecedented concentration of income and wealth
at the top; a record amount of secret money flooding our democracy; and
a public becoming increasingly angry and cynical about a government
that's raising its taxes, reducing its services, and unable to get it
back to work.

We're losing our democracy to a different system. It's called plutocracy. >

Damien Broderick