[ExI] Clarification of me and uploading.

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 22 17:35:53 UTC 2010

On Oct 22, 2010, at 3:32 AM, Adrian Tymes wrote:

> Consider the mass ratio of a computer to the power plant (not battery or other energy
> storage, but energy generation) that powers it.  Might it not be the case that, even if
> optimum computronium becomes available, the majority of the mass might need to be
> devoted to energy harvesting - as in a classic Dyson sphere?

You can't upload a power source obviously, but I think it will always take less energy to simulate a hurricane than to power such storms as they exist in the hardware level, the lowest most fundamental level of reality of the Jupiter Brain. Also, if the Jupiter Brain feels nostalgic about humanity and wants to keep people around, it would probably feel safer sticking them in the software level. If it is kind and knows some people don't want to be uploaded he just won't tell them they've been uploaded and they'll never know the difference. For these reasons it seems likely that everything that can be uploaded will be uploaded; assuming there is not some disaster (positive feedback loops from electronic drug addition?) that throws a monkey wrench into the entire works.

  John K Clark