[ExI] Physics versus psychology

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Fri Oct 22 18:44:25 UTC 2010

BillK wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Damien Broderick  wrote:
>> Mathematics is basically people chatting. Physics and psychology is
>> basically people chatting and taking carefully measurements and chatting
>> again then taking more careful measurements.
>>
>> BillK might be getting psychology confused with psychoanalysis, or est, or
>> novelists.
>>

> Pull the other one, Damien.  :)
>
> Show me psychologists playing with a billion dollar machine.

Wait:  shirley you can't be serious?  ;-)

a)  There are probably a few hundred multi-million-dollar brain scanning
machines in use by psychologists, worldwide.

b) Cognitive psychologists like myself will soon be needing (and within
the next ten years we will probably be *getting*) some seriously large
supercomputers.  In fact, I would not be surprised if you find that
within the next ten years the use of supercomputers by a new branch of
the psychology community starts to overtake all other uses (because this
new branch will be a hybrid of psychology and AI).

However, having said all of that, it ain't scientific need that
determines who gets the billion-dollar toys.  You know that.  :-)

Richard Loosemore