[ExI] Electric cars without batteries

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 18:18:10 UTC 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Turbine_Car

The fourth-generation Chrysler turbine engine ran at up to 44,500
Revolutions per minute (rpm), according to the owner's manual[1], and
could use diesel fuel, unleaded gasoline, kerosene, JP-4 jet fuel, and
even vegetable oil. The engine would run on virtually anything and the
president of Mexico tested this theory by running one of the first
cars—successfully—on tequila. Air/fuel adjustments were required to
switch from one to another, and the only evidence of what fuel was
being used was the odor of the exhaust.

The engine[2] had a fifth as many moving parts as a piston unit (60
rather than 300). The turbine was spinning on simple sleeve bearings
for vibration-free running. Its simplicity offered the potential for
long life, and because no combustion contaminants enter engine oil, no
oil changes were considered necessary. The 1963 Turbine's engine
generated 130 brake horsepower (97 kW) and an instant 425 pound-feet
(576 N·m) of torque at stall speed, making it good for 0-60 mph in 12
seconds at an ambient temperature of 85 °F (29 °C)—it would sprint
quicker if the air was cooler and denser.

snip

Its power turbine was connected, without a torque converter, through a
gear reduction unit to an otherwise ordinary TorqueFlite automatic
transmission. The flow of the combustion gases between the gas
generator and free power turbine provided the same functionality as a
torque converter but without using a conventional liquid medium.