[ExI] Physics versus psychology

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 21:26:59 UTC 2010

I suppose this is possible.  But if so, it must not have had much
affect on survival since people vary so much in their susceptibility
to hypnosis.

It just about has to depend on brain mechanisms that are built by
genes.  Depending on which genes you get various susceptibility.

But if it has not made a difference in reproductive success since the
age of the dinosaurs, then even if all mammals (or even all animals)
started out with it, the genes for susceptibility would slowly drift
out of the gene pool.

The alternative model is that there is some advantage being
susceptible if there is a certain fraction in the population who are
not and the advantage goes down as the number who are susceptible goes
up.  Such ballanced polymorphisms are well known as ESS
(evolutionarily stable stratagies.

Your explanation may be the correct one.  It sure seems like a
complicated mechanism to be drifting but I am unable to with how
susceptibility could relate to improving reproductive success.

Keith