[ExI] Evolution of hypnosis susceptibility/was Re: Physics versus psychology

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 16:36:40 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Dan <dan_ust at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Maybe. Could it also be related to predation? Predators usually have to focus on
> prey. Granted, humans were not top level predators -- they were catfood much of
> the time, no? -- but like many primates, humans or their ancestors, seem to have
> engaged in some predation. But your view seems more correct here. How to test
> this?

Humans have been top level predators for a *long* time.  We displaced
lions (another social predator) from most of their former range, and
like lions self predation is the ultimate check that keeps human
numbers within the ecological limit of the environment to feed them.

This has been the case long enough for specific psychological
mechanisms to evolve.

I suppose hypnosis could be related to something involving humans
being predators.  If so, I would expect chimps to have it and bonobos
not since chimps are predators and bonobos are not.

Keith