[ExI] Let's play What If.

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Oct 27 00:02:04 UTC 2010

On 10/26/2010 6:35 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> If you were given the choice of being duplicated a million times with
> one of the copies being tortured or once with one of the copies being
> tortured would you have any preference for one or the other case,
> given that in both cases it is certain that there will be one
> individual who is tortured?

Aside from empathy and indignation at cruelty, why should it matter to
*me* if one of the *copies* is tortured? --as long as I, the original,
am allowed to go unmolested. (Well, except for the fear that the
tortured copy might remain alive and hunt me down vengefully for a touch
of the same treatment.)

Damien Broderick