[ExI] this might sting your interest

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 02:55:54 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 7:46 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>> ...On Behalf Of Damien Broderick
>> Subject: [ExI] this might sting your interest
> <http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-10-complex-mathematical-problem-bees.html>
>
> I have been pondering this in the past couple days.  I have a google alert
> on bees, so it sent me the link.  I don't know what the heck to make of it.
> Bees do some amazing things with their little bit of brain.  Apparently
> there exists some algorithm for solving the travelling saleman problem that
> we haven't discovered yet, but evolution has.  To state the absolutely
> obvious: is this wicked cool or what!

Do the bees communicate?  Are they testing the problem solving skills
of a single bee or the ability of a clustered computing architecture
with hundreds or thousands of nodes?  The majority of individual
computers on the internet are fairly uninteresting, but in total the
Internet is practically inconceivable.

Do you think hypothesis about bees will translate easily to ants?