[ExI] Let's play What If.

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Oct 27 16:53:18 UTC 2010

> As I understand your position this is
> impossible: you think you will end up as the original with probability
> 1 and as a copy with probability 0.

Of course--in the situation you first proposed. Say I walk into a
scanning station, lie down, get scanned, stand up and the team wave me
off after a nice cup of tea. Then they settle down to cleaning up any
glitches in the scan and begin running off either one or a million
copies who coalesce in the copy tank/s. Surely you're not claiming that
everyone gets really really confused at that point, including me, and
forgets who the original was?

> So what do you think would happen
> if the MWI is correct and there is no original?

I have no idea. But that isn't the case you proposed, where someone (a
original) is asked which of two copying procedures to authorize, each
procedure entailing a horrendous consequence for one copy.

Damien Broderick