[ExI] Let's play What If.

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Oct 28 15:21:35 UTC 2010

On 10/28/2010 10:08 AM, Damien Broderick wrote:
> On 10/28/2010 9:10 AM, John Clark wrote:
>>
>>> but you know for certain that you are not he because he was in the
>>> scanning room.
>>
>> What are you talking about? You were in the scanning room too, you
>> remember it every bit as clearly as he did.
>
> Because *you know that he woke up in the scanning room* and therefore
> you are a copy. That's what I'm talking about.

Or better still, since how this magical technology works is totally
undefined, he didn't *wake up* in the scanning room, he just lay there
or sat there while he was scanned, as we do when being X-rayed, then he
got up, had a cup of tea, and went on his way out the same door he
entered. The copies all experience something other than that: an abrupt
lurch of location, or a moment of confusion, or find that 18 years have
passed if they were grown from a reprogrammed somatic cell, etc.