[ExI] physical conservative

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Sep 2 05:59:33 UTC 2010

Would you not completely freak out if this turned out to be true?

http://www.economist.com/node/16930866?story_id=16930866
<http://www.economist.com/node/16930866?story_id=16930866&fsrc=nwl>
&fsrc=nwl

What if the fine structure constant isn't constant?  It gives us an
immediate motive to find ET life: we could ask them what is the fine
structure constant in your neighborhood.

Of course if alpha isn't constant, that messes up a lot of other things.

I am realizing I am the ultimate physical conservative.  I spend way too
much energy worrying we will find something fundamentally wrong with one of
our current notions in physics, and then what other things in physics that
one wrong notion would mess up.